Choosing Winning Cause and Effect Essay Topics for Middle School
Middle school students often don’t know how to choose a winning topic for their cause and effect essays. These assignments should explain why something happened and what exactly happened as a result. In writing these essays, students learn how to organize and discuss their thoughts in a proper way. To come up with a good topic, you must understand what it should look like. The following characteristics are typical for a cause and effect essay topic:
- You can formulate a strong thesis statement under a chosen idea.
- The topic can be supported by available data and evidence.
- It’s clear what is a cause and what is an effect.
- The idea is narrow enough to be developed within the scope of an essay.
- You intend to describe a specific situation or set of situations.
Once you’ve realized what characteristics you should keep in mind, it’s a good idea to look through a list of sample cause and effect essay topics for middle school. This list contains winning topic ideas to get inspired:
- The main reasons why students cheat during tests.
- Why did you do the most stupid thing in your life?
- The effect of a best friend on your life.
- How does poverty affect an individual?
- Why is one middle school course more interesting, compared to another?
- The causes and effects of water pollution in rural areas.
- Why do students hate working on math homework?
- Why do you keep a pet?
- How do computers influence our everyday activities?
- The reasons why many people still don’t carry a mobile phone.
- Why do people hire financial consultants?
- The influence of electronic books on the publishing industry.
- Why do adults like watching animated movies?
- The most dangerous effects of stress on students in middle school.
- The reasons to move to a new city or town.
- Why do a growing number of individuals shop online?
- Why is history homework so boring?
- The reasons for steady growth in the cost of higher education.
- The long-term problems arising from eating fast food.
- The influence of art on your life.
If you like one of the ideas mentioned above, you should prepare a short essay outline and visit your teacher in order to get your topic approved. Make sure that you know what you want to write about, realize how to format the paper correctly, and remember the due date.
Cause and effect is an evergreen thing. Remember when we were just kids, and our parents always told us that if we disobey them, there would be consequences?
Well, it really does work this way.
Whatever you do, think, or say will lead to something particular. There is even a so-called "Butterfly effect" that basically means that minor things done somewhere can lead to big changes somewhere else in the world. It used to be an effect often discussed in weather broadcasts, but with time it became a metaphor for all kinds of changes.
Meanwhile, educational establishments aiming to train students to see the cause and effect decided to have special types of essays as a part of their academic process.
There are only two issues that come up when you talk about these essays: what structure they have and what topics can they talk about.
What makes a good cause and effect essay?
The structure is no different from any other essay you would write. This piece must consist of an introduction, main body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
However, the whole text should focus on four main points across the text:
- You need to study the cause of what happened.
There is always a reason behind every event. And there are no exceptions. So, your job is to study these causes and describe them in a nice and concise manner.
- Explain these causes.
After you look into the reasons why something happened, you need to explain what you found out to the readers. They do not read your mind, so you need to be very clear when explaining the situation. However, since you need to talk about it in the introduction, make sure to explain it all in a few sentences.
- Check out the effect this particular event has.
In the main body, you need to show what consequences come after some choice, decision, action, or a word.
It is better if you can dedicate one paragraph to one effect for better clarity of the problem.
- Connect the cause and its effects.
The readers need to see the big picture. So, your last goal is to connect the cause and effect in their eyes. You should also lead them to a certain conclusion or a takeaway line which they would remember once they finish reading it.
This is what you should know about the structure. However, it might not be your biggest concern. The topic might be harder to come up with. So, if you are having troubles thinking of what to talk about in your article, then read on: you might find exactly what you are looking for on our list.